- Fritzemeiers Footnotes
- Hi my name is Dr. Marian C Fritzemeier and I'm an education and child development specialist. I've accumulated many years speaking, writing, consulting and teaching both in the classroom and for parenting audiences. I believe the parenting process can be a fantastic and overwhelmingly fun journey with the right plan in mind. Need some help with that plan? Then you've come to the right place.
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Ideas for, "There's nothing to do."
by Dr. Marian Fritzemeier, Ed.D. ©2014
Author, Speaker, Educator
Summer's beginning. It won't be long until your kids' whine, "There's
But don't sweat it; here are ten summer fun activities that will keep
your children occupied.
1. Pitch a tent in the backyard and camp with Smokey the Bear
2. Plant seeds and grow healthy vegetables to harvest and cook. I just planted sunflowers for the birds to eat this fall.
3. Take old bread to the park and feed the birds.
4. Sprinklers are a forgotten play activity with so many yards watered automatically. With water shortages, turn off automatic sprinklers. Parents can easily adapt water volume for small children or bigger kids.
5. Nature scavenger hunt. Identify items for children to find. They can draw what they find, mark it off a list, or take photos of each item.
6. Remember sidewalk chalk. Lets children express their creativity and washes off easily.
7. Dig in the dirt with shoes off. Shovels, water, containers, and trucks provide lots of fun. Hose down children when done! This is one of my grandson's favorite activities. I keep a dirt area in the yard just for mud play.
8. Tricycle/Bicycle Derby. Decorate bikes. Bike races by age groups. When we did this in our neighborhood, a boy in a wheel chair participated too.
9. Pets on Parade. Gather the pets, dress them up, and have a parade on your sidewalk. (Cats and dogs on leashes.)
10. Don't forget Flag Day on June 14th. Buy flags from a dollar store. Children create instruments such as drums, shakers, and tambourines. Then form a parade on your neighborhood sidewalks.
Image from: Stock.XCHNG www.sxc.hu/ sun flower 1442107 by Greeber.